Joe Smith

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jul 3 00:34:19 EDT 2006

I don't recall that Joe Smith was ever on WMEX, although anything is
possible.  I do recall him on WVDA in the mid 50s-- he worked a split shift
in fact, mid-morning and then back in the afternoon. He also worked at WILD
after his WVDA days ended (and WVDA ended too).  He got a bit of unwanted
national notoriety in 1960, while he worked at WILD-- he was accused of
taking payola (about $10,000 worth).  By the mid 1960s, he was at Warner
Brothers in LA, where he rose from A&R to head of the label.  The first
major band he signed to WB was the Grateful Dead in 1967.  Joe is a grad of
Chelsea High (class of 1945) by the way.