Globe: At radio deal's end, Sox may be in play

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Tue Jan 31 14:56:36 EST 2006

<<On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:44:59 -0500, John Francini <francini@mac.com> said:

> I don't see what FM adds to Patriots broadcasts. Especially since
> WBCN doesn't come in so well north of the Mass. border.

North of the New Hampshire line you're supposed to be listening to
their New Hampshire affiliates.  When the 'BCN deal started, ISTR that
WGIR and WHEB had the rights in southern New Hampshire.  The Sox are
already on a large network, which presumably would not change
regardless of the putative "flagship" signal.  (The audience for the
Sox is much broader than the audience for the Pats; in northern
Vermont when I was growing up, the broadcast coverage was as much
Jets as Pats.  Hockey was about equally split between Habs and
Bruins, although not on the radio, and baseball mostly Sox with some
Yanks.  Basketball was the Cats, of course.)

-GAWollman