Globe: At radio deal's end, Sox may be in play

John Francini francini@mac.com
Tue Jan 31 14:44:59 EST 2006

Yes, put them on FM, so we can hear those "Yankees Suck!" chants,
along with other beer-besotted obscene epithets, in high-fidelity glory.

They're fine where they are.  They already HAVE piped-in crowd noise
-- there are microphones all over the grandstand in an arc from 1st
base to 3rd. All that FM would do is allow the piped-in noise to be
heard in higher fidelity. Big deal.

I don't see what FM adds to Patriots broadcasts. Especially since
WBCN doesn't come in so well north of the Mass. border.

Frankly, I'd never seen the point of moving the Patriots to FM.
Before that, they were on the 38-state blowtorch that is WBZ-AM, and
back when they were "The Spirit of New England", they used to have a
hammerlock on the Boston sports radio scene, with at one point the
Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and BC Football all on the same airwaves
(with conflicting games moved to then-WBZ-FM 106.7).  I was immensely
upset when that happened.

I had hoped that once Infinity and Westinghouse Broadcasting merged
that surely Patriots would return to WBZ, where they belonged. They
don't belong on an alternative rocker. Never have.  I listen to  WBCN
exactly 16 time a year (more if the Pats are in the playoffs). I
create my own simulcasts, as I can't stand network TV announcers;
otherwise it's a 'never listen' station.

Baseball and AM radio go together like mustard and relish on a hot dog.

john