Globe: At radio deal's end, Sox may be in play

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:28:34 EST 2006

 http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/01/31/at_radio_deals_end_sox_may_be_in_play
/

"WEEI's contract with the Red Sox expires at the end of this season --
and, with it, the right to broadcast Sox games. As the Sox weigh their
options for next year, they could move their games to FM, or even buy
a station of their own. Sox executives say they are in renegotiations
with WEEI, but that other possibilities also are on the table.

"The station's program director, Jason Wolfe, said WEEI expects to
reach agreement with the Sox, but declined to say how long it might
take. ''We feel we're the best partner," he said. ''We have an
outstanding relationship with the club. We're going to continue to
talk." If the Sox go with an FM radio partner, they could incorporate
more crowd noise into broadcasts, and may be able to improve sound
quality. The New England Patriots made the switch to an FM station,
WBCN, 11 seasons ago and haven't looked back."

Sox to FM? Hint to Entercom: if the Sox are so concerned about being on
FM, tell them you can run the games on WEEI _and_ simulcast them on
WMKK or WAAF...