Dance music format in medium markets

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 00:42:54 EST 2006

Dance music has been trying to make inroads in the US for many years
since the death of disco.  However, throughout most of the world, dance
music is their pop music, and is all over the airwaves.  Both XM and
Sirius program multiple dance channels each and plenty of stations
stream on the internet.  There has been some success stories in the US
as of late.  DHT "Listen To Your Heart" was a recent number one single
and the group Cascada is making inroads with their new song "Everytime
We Touch"  Madonna just released a new all-dance album and more pop
singles are being remixed for club and on-air mix show play.

Despite all this, there are very few all-dance stations in this
country.  Most are on rimshot signals that get low ratings.  In the
last couple of years, Dance stations in Orlando, Miami, LA and Chicago
have dumped the format for something else.  Contemporary dance should
not be confused with rhythmic AC, which is essentially what Star 93.7
used to be, along with WNEW-FM/New York.  WKTU does play some current
product, but they are still gold-heavy.

As far as Albany goes, I can't see how a smaller market with two CHR's
already could possibly support a dance station, at least on the main
signal.  Current dance seems to be finding a home on HD though.
Philadelphia and Miami already have dance formats on HD.  With the HD
radio "alliance" rolling out new formats on HD signals in the major
markets (including Boston) I would not be surprised to see more dance
music on the HD "band" in many cities in the future.  A format like
that would be the perfect  complement to a terrestrial CHR/Pop or
Rhythmic/Hip-Hop signal.

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"