Dance music format in medium markets

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 20:36:49 EST 2006

Here's a general question to everyone on the list -
The other day I noticed that our local Urban
Contemporary station, WAJZ 96.3 FM Voorheesville
(Albany) NY, is starting to drift away from their
Urban format and into a Dance/Rhythmic CHR direction.
They now have a Sunday night club mix show, and some
notable additions to their playlist of late (Because
of You remix by Kelly Clarkson amongst others) that
would've been unthinkable just 6 months ago.  Now I
know there's been talk in the past about bringing a
dance formatted station to the Albany NY market, but
does anyone think a market of that size is actually
big enough to support it?  Based on my very amateur
observations on the matter, the only places where
dance music radio stations seem to do well is in
extremely large markets like NYC, LA, and Chicago; and
even in some of those cases it doesn't work.  Any
thoughts/comments?

                                        Matt Osborne
                                        Schenectady, NY