Boston No Longer In Top Ten

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sun Jan 15 10:18:33 EST 2006

R Trovato wrote:
> However, I hear that the big four owners in Boston are seeking some kind of
> "patch", in an attempt to keep Boston within the top 10 radio markets.  (It
> was a few years ago that Arbitron added some zip codes noth of Worcester to
> keep Boston in the Top 10. )

Sounds like the Worcester/Merrimack Valley patches have lost their
medicinal benefit.  What next, Providence? Portland? Manchester?
<kidding> Even adding Worcester was a stretch. Advantage Boston when you
consider what market penetration an XLO or SRS can muster out in East
Boston, contrasted with what XKS or MJX can muster in Worcester.

Boston's drop is far less due to Boston being Boston than it is other
cities' population explosions due to migration to the South and West to
more amicable economic climes.

It is hard to feel bad about any of this when you consider the fact that
those very same "big four" are also the same "big four" in the rest of
the top 10, all programming them identically without any regional
consideration. Can you say "Burn another disc with format x, we just
bought ourselves another 'Frank?"

Bill [don't call me Frank] O'Neill