thoughts on newest 12 + ratings?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Jan 14 11:26:31 EST 2006

As has already been stated, the 12+ # is at radioandrecords.com...
the number to the left of the decimal point has been the same now
for three quarters;  WCRB doesn't go through any wild gyrations because
the actual selections of music they play, and the presentation of
this music has been unaltered for a decade.   The far superior
KING-FM in Seattle has what economists call "a higher beta"...
it's rating seems to drop a little because their more adventurous
fare attracts a younger cohort of an admittedly older cohort
in general.  Thus in summer, KING-FM listeners may be more active
than people who place themselves near radios tuned to WCRB's
frequency (nobody actually LISTENS to WCRB except for the
Boston Symphony broadcasts) and get out more. Thus KING's
12+number can rise and fall just because of the seasons.
(Right now, the Pacific Northwest has had an exceptionally
long bout of wet weather...some people may need  KING-FM
to cure SAAD.  WFMT in Chicago just had a notable spike in
their 12+ number as I mentioned earlier.  It may be a
combination of the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts and the
scheduling   As to whether (not so)Greater Media will retain
WCRB's current format...why spend 100-mill to keep things the
way they are?  Conglomerates eradicated classical outlets of
varying quality in Kansas City, Detroit and Philadelphia, and
one of them shunted aside their Washington DC outlet to an
inferior facility with no warning.
Since this thread is called "thoughts on newest 12+ ratings"...
now WBOS is below a 6KW station WILD-FM, AND a rim-shotter
WPLM-FM.  Yet everyone says it's big revenue producer  for
G.M.  From troubles at the two newspapers in town and channel 56,
advertisers don't seem to be in the mood to throw mucho dinero
(a little Spanish lingo) around indiscriminately.  The Boston
Metro area appears to be losing population over time...what will
happen when Boston is no longer in the top ten?