Pattern Changes, etc

Dale H. Cook radiotest@cox.net
Sun Feb 19 14:34:45 EST 2006

>  How is it that AM DX reception is highest at sunspot minimum?  I
>  would have thought it would be the other way around.

The F layer is responsible for night time AM DX. The frequencies best
reflected by that layer are directly related to its ionization from
solar flux. During solar minima the F layer best reflects medium wave
and low short wave frequencies. During solar maxima it best reflects
higher short wave and lower VHF frequencies.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml