RIP - Curt Gowdy

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Tue Feb 21 07:58:42 EST 2006

Dan Billings wrote:

>>A quick note on how age impacts ones perspective on the news:
I am a New England sports fan, but I don't remember hearing Gowdy
broadcast
a game.  I watched the '75 series that he broadcast, but I was only 7 so
don't remember the broadcasters.
I was born in 1968 so he was long gone from the Sox when I started
following
them and by the time that I really starting watching national broadcasts
in
the 80's, he was also gone from there.
As a fan and a former broadcaster, I had, of course, heard of him but I
bet
most people my age and younger are thinking "Who?" when hearing today's
news. <<

Curt's presence in sports extended beyond the playing field.  He had
roles in movies such as "The Naked Gun," "BASEketball," "Heaven Can
Wait" and others.  He also did the Superbowl in '77 & '79, plus numerous
Sports profile and pregame shows.

But to those of us of a "certain age," Curt was indeed the sound of
baseball on a warm summer day or evening.

- -Chuck Igo