[B-R-I] Re: Sunspots and DXing

Kaimbridge M. GoldChild Kaimbridge@gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 07:51:12 EST 2006

Our esteemed legal councilor, A. Joseph Ross, Esq., wrote,

 > Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about why lower
 > sunspots means better AM DXing.

 > I guess what's confusing me is that I've always heard that
 > with shortwave radio, higher sunspots means better propagation.
 > So why is it one way for shortwave and another for medium wave?

Right, but as I said in the other reply, while the "F-layer" promotes
"skip" on both MW and SW, the "D-layer"--which only affects MW, not
SW--is a wet blanket, absorbing F-layer skip, and is *also* more active
during high sunspot activity (actually it is the result of geomagnetic
storming that sunspot activity triggers).

      ~Kaimbridge~

-----
      Wikipedia—Contributor Home Page:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaimbridge