Pattern Changes, etc

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Feb 17 07:58:48 EST 2006

The New England station that switches to night pattern at Dallas sunset is
WTIC. WQEW switches at Bakersfield CA sunset and WCKY at Sacramento CA
sunset. KFAB switches to day pattern (ND) at Charlotte NC sunrise. AFAIK,
that's the only case in which a Class A AM's daytime operation is extended
in the morning hours. Suggests that KFAB has some kind of priority over WBT
because WBT does not stay on day pattern until Omaha sunset. If the
situation in which one Class A operates on day pattern/power at night as
long as the other is in daylight is valid, you'd think it would work at both
ends of the day. Of course, nothing can be changed now because all of the
protections to co-channel Class Bs would be altered. 1560 is the best
example of what happens when the FCC tries to fool mother nature. Most of
the Class Bs west of New York and east of Bakersfield (in other words, in
about 90% of the land area of the 48 contiguous states) have bizarre
operational modes that require them to change patterns or powers when the
sun sets at New York or Bakersfield, or both, as well as in their own
locations.

Critical hours runs from local sunrise to TWO hours after and from TWO hours
before local sunset until local sunset. The Boston area stations that use
different powers and/or patterns during CH, in addition to WWZN, are WBIX
and WILD.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367