NPR and breaking news

scott@saloway.com scott@saloway.com
Sun Feb 12 19:15:08 EST 2006

Yep - it did. I was with WBUR at the time, and after a series of furious phone calls between our news director and NPR, they had assured him that they would be leading with the story at the start of the first segment (around 10 past).

For those of you that don't know, Morning Edition and All Things Considered operate on a two-hour clock. The first two hours are new, and then they are rolled over for each of the other time zones.

When 10 past hit, low and behold, NPR was still playing its first story from the first hour of Morning Edition. We switched to the AP All News service (which we had as an in-house news resource) and stuck with that through most of the morning, until NPR caught up.

Scott
Formerly of WBUR/WKOK/WSIA and others;
Currently at CBS News Radio.