HD Gets A Boost

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Feb 4 00:29:15 EST 2006

On 3 Feb 2006 at 9:53, Shawn Mamros wrote:

> Oddly enough, the FCC used to send telegrams to notify stations when
> certain applications (call letter changes and power increases among
> them) were approved.  They were doing so as late as 1979 (I've seen a
> couple examples from that year), but that practice apparently ceased
> sometime between then and the late 1980's.

I believe that until relatively recently, it was the practice for any
astronomical discovery in the Western Hemisphere to be telegraphed to
the clearinghouse for astronomical discoveries at Harvard.  That was
how you established priority.  Nowadays, it's done by e-mail.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581