What about the small broadcasters ? (was Re: HD Gets A Boost)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 14:01:25 EST 2006

The BIG question that nobody seems to want to answer
is..... what about the lower powered FM stations that
want to embrace this new technology?  Spending a
minimum of $75,000 to upgrade these stations to
digital  and having to fork up another $25,000 to have
it all licensed with Ibiquity comes to a grand total
of $100,000.  Where in God's green earth is any
smaller station (a college or LPFM) going to be able
to come up with that dastardly amount to keep up with
the technology.  It's all find if your name is Clear
Channel or Greater Media.  But what about the small
broadcasters.  How do they fit in the equation?

Any takers?

Pete (K1XRB)

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts