Sports trumps Saddam news...

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Dec 30 03:51:51 EST 2006

TV was the same as before-- CBS used to really cover this stuff, but
they just waited for the 11pm News on channel 4 and let it get
covered there.  Then back into regular programming.  ABC did the
same-- except they had the advantage of not only Channel 5's 11pm
news but then Nightline, for another half hour.  Channel 7 did the
same as channel 4, although they may have had a crawl-- I just
checked them quickly.  But the major networks seem to have abandoned
news at is happens, leaving it to cable.  To MsNBC's credit, they
normally do taped documentaries on Friday night, but they hauled in
the weekend warriors and some of their regular commentators and went
live for 3 hours.  CNN stayed with the story from 10 pm till 1.15
AM.  Ditto for Fox News.  Interestingly, PBS had no mechanism for
live coverage, which is surprising, given that just about every NPR
station found a way to cover the story on radio...

Oh speaking of one classy thing-- I thought it was nice that Channel
5 did a tribute to Gary LaPierre.  I expected CBS4 (WBZ TV) to do it,
of course, but it was also nice to see competitors give Gary his
proper respect as somebody who has been on the air for a very very
long time.