Avi Nelson's Senate run

Shaun Hayes hishaun@hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:47:27 EST 2006

"Hakim Madjid" wrote:

>Yes Avi Nelson has been active in Republican politics for a while.
>Around 30 years ago, he ran against Ted Kennedy.

Bob Nelson responded:

>Yes, I think that was in '78...when I was 16.

'78 wasn't a Kennedy election year.  Nelson ran against Sen. Brooke,
too 'liberal' for conseratives, in the GOP primary.  Brooke won,
but after being knifed in his own party, went on to lose to Paul Tsongas
in the general election.

Brooke was the kind of candidate who used to win for Republicans in
this state before the Nelson types drove them all away.

Most memorable Nelson campaign trivia:  He had a dog named Phydeaux.