So many pots, switches, buttons, knobs..what 'dis do?

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Thu Dec 28 20:32:29 EST 2006

I truly believe that far too many people in Radio today consider it
"just a job" and many of those in management consider a radio station
just a "way to make money" not an endeavor to bring entertainment or any
kind of service to people - just a machine that makes money.  Quality is
not a concern, it simply boils down to: "Does my income exceed my outgo
or is my upkeep my downfall?"  Very, very discouraging to employees with
a passion for radio and the desire to "do a good job."  And, if you view
radio that way, you might as well be selling dirt.

Reminds me of the "xeroxed a million times" pictorial joke featuring
Charlie Brown (of Peanuts fame) that was posted where I used to work
(Wang Labs) just a few years before they imploded.

It said "Trying hard to do a good job here is like peeing your pants in
a dark suit.  It may give you a warm fuzzy feeling, but nobody else
notices."