The Air America / WCRB Problem

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 13:27:28 EST 2006

> ...  the theme on WCRB was "oh well, at least
> we're still alive."  Listeners don't know about coverage maps, ERP, HAAT or
> any of the rest of it.  Tell them something better than "at least we're
> still alive," tell them "we're in a more convenient dial position", tell
> them  "we're expanding to all the listeners in southern new hampshire who
> have been clamoring to hear us," tell them "your mug is now a collector's
> item," tell them any line of bull that makes you seem like the greatest
> thing ever but don't ever tell them you were near your death bed, that
> you're lucky to be alive, or that a frequency change is anything other than
> the greatest thing that has happened to your radio station in the past
> half-century.

Umm, actually, I don't listen to WCRB that much even though I now can.
(I just got Dr. Demento's 30th Anniversary Collection, after all!)
However, the only thing I've heard were frequent statements of "Thank
you for making our switch to 99.5 successful."

I kinda expect significant changes, e.g. switch to syndication or other
signs of severe belt-tightening, but haven't seen that yet.  In fact, I
have absolutely no idea who are the winners and losers in the swap other
than the coverage changes.

     -Ric Werme