Newsweek article on Air America

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Dec 18 01:29:01 EST 2006

Larry wrote--

>Especially since AA cannot be heard in most of NH, except by
>listening online.  My guess is that most of the online listening is
>by the people who are going to vote Democratic anyway, and thus is
>preaching to the choir.

Well, the righties are often preaching to the choir too, but nobody
says right wing talk shouldn't exist, whereas a lot of critics
asserted that there was no need for progressive talk since allegedly
the media are liberal-- which is utter nonsense, as I have said many
times. The media are corporate and tend to follow whoever is in
power-- the favourable coverage the president received in the run-up
to the Iraq war and the mainstream media's total lack of questioning
of his policies until Hurricane Katrina has been remarked upon by
columnists both left and right.  As I see it, whether Air America
lasts or vanishes won't affect a lot of cities since the majority of
affiliates tended to be weak signals with no promotion.  But what
will affect a lot of cities is that certain individual talk hosts are
getting their own affiliates nation-wide, with or without Air
America.  Ed Schultz, as I have mentioned before, is on some stations
that have some righties and some lefties. Ditto for Stephanie
Miller.  I doubt that Jones will abandon their progressive hosts,
since as I said in an earlier post, Ed has been turning a profit for
over a year and Stephanie is breaking even and nearly turning a
profit.  I expect other hosts like Thom Hartmann  or Rachel Maddow to
get out from under AAR and syndicate themselves, which may mean there
are not as many all-progressive stations but there may be more
stations with a combination of some right wing hosts and some liberal
or moderate hosts.  But let's not entirely write off progressive talk
just yet.  It has a loyal following in certain markets and I doubt
that will change no matter who is in control of congress, just as
whether it was a Republican or a Democratic congress didn't affect
Rush Limbaugh's numbers.  The good radio hosts will survive somehow,
no matter what their political persuasion may be.