WNNW In HD?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:55:42 EST 2006

I don't know how long this has been going on, but today (Thursday 12/14)
I noticed a tremendous amount of IBOC hash just below and above WNNW-AM
800, Lawrence, MA.  It causes mild interference to the two Leicester-
based AM's near Woostah, WCRN 830 and WVNE 760.  When I drove by the tower
overlooking Route 93 in Andover, WCRN was completely obliterated not
by splatter but by the signature hash IBOC AM's generate.  I don't
yet have an HD radio, so I don't know whether WNNW is broadcasting
in stereo...they installed a new transmitter last spring to
boost their output to 3,000 watts...so maybe they're just activating
an HD carrier because it's there.  WXKS-AM 1430 has been broadcasting
in HD for months, so when they go  "Rhumba" they undoubtedly
will be transmitting that format in HD or HD stereo.  It would
appear that WNNW is taking this step to compete.

--

Search for products and services at:
http://search.mail.com