Christmas traditions on Boston radio

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sun Dec 10 13:36:56 EST 2006

  Adding to Bob Nelson's thread:

   A tradition here in the Merrimack Valley back in the good old days of the
70's & 80's : J.C. (Jim Camilli) would always play as the first Christmas
song on his Saturday night WLLH oldies show Thanksgiving weekend (later
Sunday only) Roy Orbison's "Pretty Paper". He also played some other
Christmas songs that I believe no one else played then or now, such as
"Little Becky's Christmas Wish" by Becky Lamb, which was released (judging
by the Warner Bros. orange record label) 1966, 67 or 68. A narration with a
little girl's wish to have her brother home from Vietnam for Christmas, and
"There Won't Be Any Snow" (Christmas In The Jungle) by Derek Roberts,
mid-60's Vietnam themed song on Roulette Records, Stan Freberg's "Green
Christmas" and Allan Sherman's "The Twelve Gifts of Christmas".

   I also recall until WBZ went all news/talk in the early 90's, they would
play all Christmas music Christmas Eve night through Christmas day. Now they
remain with the regular news/talk format on Christmas.

Mark Watson