WXKS-AM/WKOX-AM Ask For Votes On Programming

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 12:21:56 EST 2006

> > From: "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org,
> 	SteveOrdinetz <hykker@grolen.com>
> Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:42:29 -0500
> Subject: Re: WXKS-AM/WKOX-AM Ask For Votes On Programming
>
> On 7 Dec 2006 at 7:26, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>
> > Ain't gonna happen.  The early-2000s "real" oldies fad was pretty
> > much CC's idea and how many of those stations are left?
>
> I thought the format started on some few independent stations, such
> as WNBP in Newburyport and the old WHAI in Greenfield. I think they
> were doing "real" oldies before Clear Channel.  WATD still is doing
> them.

He was talking about stations that tried "Real Oldies" as a full-time
format. As far as I know "Real Oldies" on WATD and WHAI have only
been weekend specialty shows. I know that WATD never took it up as
a full-time format. I would call their weekday daytime format "local
full-service gold-heavy AC" (in other words, AC with a lot of oldies
and local news/community service elements). They do have weekend
oldies specialty shows that sometimes say "Real Oldies".

WNBP was always Adult Standards and Nostalgia/Big Band music in
recent years as far as I know, not rock'n'roll oldies.

Some examples of CC "Real Oldies" stations that eventually failed
include WSAI 1530 Cincinnati and WRLL 1690 Chicago. 1530 has a
killer night signal, too. Reaches most of the eastern U.S.

Eli Polonsky