KMOX DXing in Boston/New NEgland....

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Dec 7 18:02:47 EST 2006

Check the distances. WBZ gets a few extra miles of good skywave to the west
because it's directional and, in effect, sends a 100-kW signal toward Ohio.
Columbus is about 650 miles west of WBZ, about 430 miles north of WSB, and
about 385 miles east of KMOX. KMOX is far enough away that you should be in
the region of pretty strong skywave. A good question is whether KMOX does
better in, say, western PA. It's possible.

KMOX is almost exactly 1000 miles from WBNW. Using the formulas for Class A
AM nighttime skywave coverage that the FCC started using in (I think) the
early 90s, that's kind of far to get a good nighttime signal. The protected
skywave service (0.5 mV/m 50% skywave) of nondirectional Class A AMs (all
but one of which in the US are 50 kW) now extends only a little more than
500 miles. For example, according to the FCC, the protected service areas of
670, 720, 780, and 890 in Chicago extend only about 20 or 30 miles east of
Buffalo NY. Hence we have CPs for 720 in DeWitt NY (Syracuse) and Claremont
NH and we have WAMG right here. Also, there's a 670 in Portsmouth VA.
Somehow, though, 780 seems to have escaped. All I know about in the
northeast are one or two Class Ds in Maine with nighttime flea power. Until
recently, however, there was 50 kW CKXX on 780 in Dartmouth (Halifax) NS.
--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net