Coverage - 99.5 vs. 102.5 which is "better"?

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Dec 3 14:33:31 EST 2006

On 2 Dec 2006 at 13:14, Lee Walus wrote:

> Using a cheap Coby portable receiver, I was unable to pickup WCRB 99.5
> at all in Kendall Square Cambridge. This may be due to the tall
> buildings and intermodulation distortion but perhaps these coverage
> maps are somewhat misleading.

Yesterday I drove out to Amherst for the UMass-New Hampshire football
game and noted that WCRB 99.5 was a clear signal past Worcester.  It
started to break up around Sturbridge and was unuseable by the time I
reached the Route 84 exit.  WKLB 102.5 continued to be listenable
awhile longer.  It started to breakup at the first Brimfield border-
crossing and was gone by the time I hit the Palmer line.

I didn't hear any legal ID at all on WKLB either around the noon or
the 1:00 hour.  Maybe a hastily-whispered ID just didn't come
through.  Just before the switch, they ID'd clearly as "WKLB-FM
Lowell-Boston"  I don't know why they shouldn't be just as open about
IDing as "WKLB-FM Waltham-Boston."

Yesterday morning, before I left, I saw another TV ad about the
switch.  This time, Keith Lockhart said that WCRB "has moved" as he
picked up the Bose radio and moved it.  This was followed by the
Hallelujah Chorus -- appropriate, since that was also the first piece
played by WCRB on 99.5.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581