Channel 5 logo

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Mon Aug 28 11:58:38 EDT 2006

<<On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:55:43 -0700, John Francini <francini@mac.com> said:

> So what will happen when all those nice low-digit channel numbers
> become unavailable when analog broadcasting goes away?  20 just
> doesn't have the same 'ring' to it as 5 does...

They don't become unavailable, just undesirable.  Channel 7 will still
be on channel 7, not channel 42, after 2009, as the VHF-high band is
the best place to be.  I don't think the FCC has made a decision yet
on how channel numbers in PSIP data will be assigned once the original
analogue channels go away.

-GAWollman