Entercom Buys WILD-FM, Will Simulcast WAAF On 97.7

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Mon Aug 21 12:16:35 EDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:15:15 -0400
 "Mark Watson" <markwats@comcast.net> wrote:
>  All Access reports that Entercom is purchasing WILD-FM (97.7
>
>Brockton/Boston) from Radio One, and will dump the current
>Urban AC format & convert the 97.7 signal to a simulcast of
>WAAF (107.3 Westborough) at 5:30 PM Tuesday 8/22. No purchase
>price mentioned.

After spending all that money on the signal upgrade, Entercom's
finally realizing that no matter what it does, 107.3 won't get
into the city? Will they go back to the old tower?

To me the purchase makes little sense, return-wise. Maybe after
the move to Great Blue Hill, 97.7's signal is absolutely killer
in Boston, but it's core strength area still is the South
Shore. And WAAF does just fine south of the city.

Essentially, Entercom just bought a really high-priced
translator/relay to get into Boston, since most of the 97.7 and
107.3 signal areas overlap.