99.5 WCRB in Boston? Hardly

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Aug 1 15:52:30 EDT 2006

On 1 Aug 2006 Stephanie Weil wrote:

> Except 99.5 FM in Boston proper is non-existent on run-of-the-mill
> radios (and I'm sure most high-end receivers too).  It gets wiped out
> by the stations from the top of the Pru.

To the contrary, in my office in Government Center, I have a lot of
trouble picking up WCRB at 102.5.  I use a rabbit-ears antenna, and I
am constantly repositioning it and changing the setting on the
antenna dial (BTW, can one of the techies on this list explain just
what that multi-position switch on the bottom of a rabbit-ears
antenna actually does?).  It frequently is difficult to keep WCRB
from being overpowered by an image of WROR.

I just tried WKLB 99.5 and heard it with no problem.

The same is true at my home in Brookline.  To listen to 102.5, I use
my livingroom stereo, which does get WCRB without problem, or a
couple of early-60s vacuum-tube radios, which do a very good job.
Newer and cheaper radios get WCRB with difficulty if at all,
overwhelmed by the many images of other stations, probably from both
the pru and FM 128 towers.  I'm expecting improved reception in both
locations when WCRB moves to 99.5.

> 102.5, even though it had an antenna outside of the city, did put a
> solid signal into Boston.  Enough to be able to tune it in on a
> Walkman.
>
> If you can't hear it on a Walkman's tuner....I'm sorry, it's not
> there.

Haven't tried it on a Walkman, but if I ever do, I'll let you know.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
15 Court Square, Suite 210         Fax: 617.742.7581