Herald: WEEI hopes to retain some Sox presence

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Thu Apr 27 14:11:13 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:58:07 -0400
 "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@gmail.com> wrote:
>from today's Herald Inside Track
>
>http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=136790&format=&page=2
>
>"Word outta radioland is that the Red Sox-to-WBOS is a done
>deal but
>WEEI is negotiating to keep some Sox presence on their air
>... we hear 'EEI is negotiating to retain the segments with
>Terry
>Francona and the "Player of the Week" bits.
>
>"We've already told you that there is talk of moving Mike
>Barnicle to
>the new station and retaining 'EEI veteran Bob Neumeier to do
>mornings. We also hear that 'BOS has already begun recruiting
>sales
>staff for the new station."

Still refuse to believe this is a donedone deal.

Back before it had the Sox, WEEI was a blip on the ratings
radar. Granted, that was back in the infancy of the station.
But losing nearly 600 hours of game programming (figure on 180
games, including exhibition season and a smattering of playoff
games, at a little more than 3 hours per) ain't something to be
sneezed at. The Celtics can make up for some of it -- but no
one cares about the Celtics anymore (relatively speaking).

You also can figure on WEEI losing BC football and basketball
if the WBOS deal goes through, since the Sox' marketing arm
controls those rights. More lost programming.