Interesting radio sighting along the NY Thruway...

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 14:14:47 EDT 2006

While traveling home from Poughkeepsie Saturday night
along the NYS Thruway, I stopped at a rest area and
noticed something interesting that didn't hit me right
away.  There was a bus stopped there that was
emblazoned with the 98.1 CHOI Radio X logo (CHOI
Quebec City, which nearly lost its broadcast license
recently) on both sides and the back.  At first, I was
quite surprised to see a bus from Quebec City so far
south into the US, much less from a radio station as
infamous as CHOI.  But then I got to thinking - does
CHOI actually own their own bus for concert trips and
whatnot??  I would think they might be renting it, but
the graphics on the bus seemed a bit too high quality
for a bus that someone does not own outright.  Is this
a common practice for stations in major markets owning
their own buses like this, or am I losing my mind.
Also, what makes this even more interesting is that
Quebec City, IIRC, is *not* considered one of the
major broadcast markets in Canada, so if CHOI does, in
fact, own their own bus, their station revenues must
be absolutely astronomical.

                              Matt Osborne
                              Schenectady, NY