Question about WKOX

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 08:43:30 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:39:59 Cohasset / Hippisley
<cohasset@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> The air navigation band
> is about 195 - 525
> kHz.  In some parts of the country you can hear the
> beacon on its actual
> frequency just below the bottom end of the AM
> broadcast band.

Which explains a strange transmission I used to hear
on AM 530 when I was a child in Broadalbin, NY.  There
was something that used to transmit a continuous
repeating morse code signal of "JJH" that I could not,
for the life of me, figure out.  Knowing this
information, I have just realized that signal was most
likely a navigational beacon at the Fulton County
Airport in nearby JoHnstown, NY transmitting very
near, if not on, 525 KHZ.  Only took me some 15 years
or so to figure it out (with "just a little" help from
this list)...

                              Matt Osborne
                              Schenectady, NY