Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Apr 9 01:27:01 EDT 2006

On 8 Apr 2006 at 15:04, Brian Vita wrote:

> How about flipping chronic underperformer WBOS to classical.  Wasn't
> it classical a zillion years ago?  Anyone know the revenues of WBOS vs
> WCRB?  What about footprints?

It was never classical.  It was an eclectic "beautiful music"
station, similar to Bob Bittner's WJIB.  Or, more accurately, similar
to Bob Bittner's WJIB several years ago.  Bob has changed the mix on
his station to more vocals and more adult standards.  WBOS, years
ago, ran mostly pop instrumentals with occasional classics and
occasional vocals.

The format was called "Music Theatre," which originally began as an
afternoon program on WBOS (AM) 1600, now WUNR.  It consisted of
approx. 15-minute segments of uninterrupted music, with 5 minutes of
news on the hour, brief headlines on the half-hour, and commercials
on the quarter-hour.  At one point, they expanded Music Theatre on AM
to most of the day and late evening, with the leased-time ethnic
programs limited to 7 - 10 PM weekdays and all day Sunday.  When WBOS-
FM came on (February 1960, I believe), they simulcasted the AM during
those times and ran Music Theatre separately while the AM did the
other programs.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581