A Note for CC Boston Engineering

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 21:58:22 EDT 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:02:20 Rick Kelly wrote:

> I first heard about speeding up records in the early
> 1970's.

<snip>

>  The real reason was to make the
> competition sound
> slower, less bright.

Exactimundo.  The story I heard about WBEE is that
pitching up their music was started by a former
program director, Bob Barnett.  When he took over the
station, it was about 2 years old (prior to that it
was Top 40) and not doing so hot ratingswise (it was
getting handily beaten by an AM country station in
town with a highly directional signal).  He
implemented a couple  key things that the station
still sticks to today - a very contemporary country
playlist (essentially a country form of CHR) and he
sped all the music up 3 percent to make the station
sound more upbeat and "hip" than the competiton.  His
changes worked too - soon after implementing these and
a few other things, they shot to #1, and ever since
they have consistently been either the #1 or #2 rated
station in town 12+ and in adults 25-54.

                             Matt Osborne
                             Schenectady, NY