WHAV

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 00:12:42 EDT 2005

A friend from Ohio was in town the other day so I drove him around and
we talked. We grabbed a picture of what we guessed was the tower for
WXRV in Haverhill (and maybe WCCM AM 1490, too!), then I went into
downtown and found 30 How St., headquarters of "the River".. Big huge
sign saying WHAV outside  (in a kind of vintage font)! Yes, of course
they used to also own WHAV 1490 which these days is Costa-Eagle's
Methuen-based WCCM. The WHAV calls disappeared from 1490 in 2002, and
from what I can gather there is currently no WHAV on AM or FM
anywhere.

There is a "WHAV.net" site which somebody stumbled upon (webcast
station), and I notice they do have a nice history of WHAV (and
"WHAV-FM", which later became WLYT and then WXRV):

http://www.whav.net/vintage.html

My friend picked up a couple River 92.5 bumper stickers inside and we
both noticed that it apparently had been a longtime radio studio for
WHAV years back, etc. It had that lived in look in some ways :)

I just went to an online map and found "Lansing St." off route 97. We
saw the tower and I think I turned onto that street and went up a bit
so we could get a good photo of it. (Not _on_ that street,  but that's
where we took the pic.)