High School Football On WWZN

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sun Sep 11 15:28:07 EDT 2005

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Not to ask a dumb question, but when (and why) did high school
> football games migrate to Friday nights?  I always remember them being
> Saturday afternoon.

Lights, for one. More schools have invested in better lighting for their
fields to accomodate other sports like soccer, etc., that play well into
fall where sunset is earlier.  I agree that there was nothing like a
crisp Saturday afternoon of school ball, splinters and all. Maybe
Booster orgs had something to do with pushing for it. They can carry
decent local poli-clout.  (If that was a dumb question, then this was a
dumb answer. Welcome to the club!)

Bill O'Neill