FCC Annual Report 1965 - Education TV Underwriting

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Wed Sep 7 17:09:47 EDT 2005

> > From: "paulconnors@earthlink.net" <paulconnors@earthlink.net>
> To: "Eli Polonsky" <elipolo@earthlink.net>,
>     boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
> Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:01:11 -0400
> Subject: Re: FCC Annual Report 1965  - Education TV Underwriting
>
> My school did that too.  As a matter of fact, when our "grade" was
> gathered
> in the "all-purpose room" at my elementary school during the late
> 1960's,
> we sometimes had to wait for the program to begin.  While we
> waited, there
> was nothing on the TV but a slide that said something like
> "Massachusetts
> Educational Television"; I would assume this time would now be
> filled with underwriting announcements.

And/or program promos. Also, Public TV is also formatted much more
tightly nowadays, like commercial stations. There simply aren't such
gaps between scheduled programs anymore.

I remember that during periods when WGBH-TV ran that MET slide, WENH
Channel 11 Durham, NH used to air a half-face of a clock with a hand
that moved across to count down the minutes to the next program. I
liked that graphic much better.

Eli Polonsky