Missing FM Antenna

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Wed Oct 26 17:13:17 EDT 2005

WCRB-FM 102.5 is back to broadcasting in monaural sound as of today (10/26)
at 5:00 pm.  My jaunt through the west-of-Boston suburbs over the weekend
allowed me to view the Route 128 tower, here pictured:

http://necrat.com/fm128.html

You will note that there is a two-bay domed FM antenna at the base of
the mast above the actual tower in the picture.  Well that antenna is GONE;
only the "ferris-wheel-on-its-side" near the top of the mast remains.  It
appears to me that WCRB broadcast in stereo over the weekend to broadcast the
Boston Symphony concert in stereo, but outside of that is back to monaural
so as not to sacrifice too much coverage until a new antenna is installed
by American Tower.  I wonder if it will also serve as WBMX's main or backup
antenna?  Observing the tower structure itself, I didn't see a new antenna
that might have been installed temporarily, so I don't know what WCRB is
using for now;  maybe they're diplexing on the two-bay domed antenna lower
down below WODS.