Steve Hoad

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sun Oct 23 19:30:54 EDT 2005

>From my experience with Steve, I think most of the stories that you have
heard are true.  ;-)

Steve's post reminded me of one of my favorite radio stories: in 1986, Jeff
Dunham was leaving his job as the afternoon jock on WAYU so he could follow
the Grateful Dead around the country for six months.  On the day of his last
show, the general manager, who was a complete idiot, was lurking about all
afternoon ready to pull the plug if Dunham got out of line.  He expected him
to do something inappropriate during his last show.

As it turns out, Dunham was well behaved all afternoon.  Just after he said
goodbye and started his last song, the GM came into the studio to say
goodbye and he said that he was happy Jeff did not pull anything during his
last show.  The GM then left the studio and Dunham stuck a chair in front of
the studio door because the last song that he played was Jimmy Buffett's
"Let's Get Drunk" (and screw).  The GM got back to his office just in time
to hear the chorus of the song.  He was not happy but there was nothing that
he could do about it.

Since then I have played the same song to say goodbye when ending one of my
numerous tenures at both WCLZ and WMGX.  When I did it at WCLZ, the PD,
Brian Phoenix, announced at a staff meeting that I would never work at the
station again.  As it turns out, he hired me back twice.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine