Steve Hoad

Steve Hoad mainefun40@hotmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:46:34 EDT 2005

Well I received a couple of heads ups about the postings on the list
mentioning WBLM, WAYU, and Steve Hoad.

Thanks for remembering me, somebody asked me this past summer about a story
they'd heard and I had to say it was probably true---I won't say that about
all story/rumors that come bac to me---but in this case it had to do with
something I might or might not remember doing.  Those days of radio will be
returning soon, I can foresee the time to come when "freely formatted" radio
will come back simply because the competition from satelites will make local
radio broadcasting national formats passe.  The beginnings are happening
now, where national monsters like ClearChannel are allowing "expanded
playlists" on some of their stations.

My idea was always "if it sounds good and remotely like the format, give it
a whirl".
So, I grew up listening to evrything from classical (WFLN) to foreign
language (WTEL, WCAM) to Philly rock and soul (WIBG, WHAT, WDAS (AM) and
WFIL) then on to more "underground" and jazz, (WDAS FM, WHAT FM, WXPN, WRTI,
WIFI, and WMMR).  All this stuff in the Philadelphia area.  The older music,
like Glenn Miller et al, was brought to me by my Dad...
Then, moving to Maine to go to school, I had my own ideas.  We just kicked
it out whereever we could,
a 10 watt Bates College WRJR, WBLM (I consulted that up from white noise to
big noise), then in and out of radio, part time and full time now and then.

The fun of it should be mystery for listeners and diversity for
broadcasters.  WSNX, now owned and broadcasting locally, might just be a
return to something that will come on strong.
And, WKTJ FM, 1500 watts in monaural from Farmington Me at 99.3 is a real
mixed local format that has lasted throughout all of this corporte take over
stuff by just working hard to be all to the locals.

So, thanks for remembering me, and don't believe all those stories.

I often write for
www.abilitymaine.org
and do advocacy work as a volunteer and (when I can find someone to pay me)
as a contract consultant.

I am no longer a housing advocate per se, there's no money left in that
project grant.

I live, and raised my family, in a small town, in a fairly decent FM
location and hope we're heading, with my daughter, for a sustainable farm.
Currently we have turkeys, ducks, geese, and chickens---for meat and eggs.

If you write, please put WBLM or something in the subject line so I won't
"Junk" you!
(smile)
posting from Emma's Family Farm
Windsor Maine;