Like the old times at WBLM

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sun Oct 23 11:57:49 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Pierce" <DSLRPIERCE@peoplepc.com>
To: "Daniel Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>;
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: Like the old times at WBLM

> My first radio job was at WCOU-AM/WAYU-FM in 1981.  Back then, the AM was
> a CHR format and the FM was an automated Country station.  In 1982 we
> switched the CHR to the FM as "94 Rock" and put the AM on the bird (I
> forget the format or provider).

At some point in the 80's, WAYU got a power increase and started to
broadcast from the old WBLM tower in Litchfield.

When I was at WAYU, the FM was country and the AM was nostalgia off the
bird.  When Steve came in, he changed the format to "Hit Country" and tried
to make the format more hip.  Two or three years later all country stations
had taken such an approach, though with much tighter play lists than Steve
favored.