Follow-up To Fybush.com Reference To Waterlogged FM's

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Oct 18 01:39:56 EDT 2005

On 17 Oct 2005 at 18:06, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> If you've read this week's NERW, you know that FM stations
> transmitting from the Route 128 tower on Chestnut Street, Newton
> suffered technical problems last weekend.  The Boston board of
> radio-info.com specified non-operational stereo broadcasts on WBMS
> 98.5 and WCRB 102.5.  As of 7:00 pm Monday, only WCRB is still
> broadcasting in monaural sound (its programming in one-dimensional
> anyway).  I wonder if this means they don't have a backup transmitter
> to use.  This means its most popular program, last Saturday's Boston
> Symphony Orchestra broadcast was not in stereo.  Yikes...they have
> five days to fix the problem before it happens again!

Incidentally, I've found a couple of alternatives to WCRB, at least when I'm near a computer:
One is Bayern 4 Klassik, an FM station in Bavaria.  The announcements are in German, but
the music is the same.  The other is BBC Radio 3.  Both are online.

Right now, though, I'm listening to WCRB on the AM-FM tube set that I was asking how to
fix about a month ago.  I finally got it working tonight, after I got a replacement for a resistor
that was bad.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581