We're cranking out 10,000 milliwatts of power!!!

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Oct 7 11:56:07 EDT 2005

Before the Jane Christo era, WBUR-FM aired a show about
stereo equipment and the music to be played on it called
"Shop Talk".  The hosts were an electronics engineer named
Peter W. Mitchell and a psychologist named Dr. David
Goldwater (he provided insights into the music of Gustave
Mahler).  Peter's other duties involved tape-recording
concerts around Greater Boston, principally Sanders
Theater in Memorial Hall at Harvard U.  On occasion,
the microphones he used were in reaching distance of the concertgoers,
and they would take the bait, thus possibly altering the
delicate balance Peter tried to attain.  So according to
his version of the story, he put signs on the mics reading:
"Warning:  47,000 ohms!"