WCOZ/WCAS DJ and "FM underground" pioneer Larry Millerreturns tothe air!

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 20:04:43 EDT 2005

--- Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> wrote:

> At 3:39 PM -0400 10/3/05, rogerkirk wrote:
> >
> >Of course, back the (60's) stations like WBCN had '0' ratings to
> >start with, so they had nowhere to go but up. I'm sure WBCN wasn't
> >an instant hit and took time to grow - with some mistakes along
> >the way.
>
> In the 60's an FM radio in a car was an oddity.  I didn't have my
> first FM car radio until 1973, it was a manually tuned (with a dial)
> Audiovox that I bought at a stereo store.  FM radios as factory
> equipment didn't become popular until later in the 70's as I
> recall.

By the time the more formatted AOR became prevalent in the mid-70's,
there were a number of FM radios available for cars. Though many
were mono, people just wanted to get the music into the car. Many of
us also plugged "FM converters" into the AM radios!

However, the first FM "underground" or "free-form" stations were not
really a car radio phenomenon in the 60's. Very few FM radios in cars
yet, and the programming was geared more toward "grooving" at home
with the headphones on, or sitting around with friends and a bottle
of Ripple and a bag of *something* (for those who were so inclined),
or for background music on the stereo in the local head shop.

Eli Polonsky