WCOZ/WCAS DJ and "FM underground" pioneer Larry Millerreturns tothe air!

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Mon Oct 3 15:39:40 EDT 2005

Eli Polonsky wrote:

>Times have changed greatly, and I'd venture to say that "free-form"
>could never make it on a commercial station today. Perhaps a version
>of AOR could in some areas, I don't know. Some AAA stations are sort
>of like today's version of that, but I've seen commercial stations
>try going more deeply into album rock in recent years, and it's
>always tanked them in the ratings, the experiments never lasted.

Of course, back the (60's) stations like WBCN had '0' ratings to start with, so they had nowhere to go but up.  I'm sure WBCN wasn't an instant hit and took time to grow - with some mistakes along the way.  Today, no station can afford (figuratively and literally) to experiment for even a nanosecond, because the stockholders won't abide it.  One down book can spell death for a PD.