BRW: Sarandis to leave WEEI

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:30:24 EDT 2005

>>what is it about sports-radio types that tends
to lean to the right?

I don't know, but I'm picturing liberal sports talk radio:

--Why the Cleveland Indians should change their name/logo

--Why it's so unfair that one team has to win. Let's not keep score.
(Don't laugh--this is being done in some schools.)

--Why the government should be in every facet of our lives--but taxpayer funded
stadiums? NO WAY! :)

Ted was definitely different in that he was much more serious, unlike
the freewheeling,
irreverent hosts on earlier in the day. And you want a big contrast?
Stay tuned at
midnight for something completely different: J.T. The Brick, where he encourages
listeners to be passionate (AND YELL A LOT) and "live and die for their teams".
No sedate talk here, "are you frickin' kidding me?," as JT would say.

I used to wonder why Ted never let kids or teens call in--he'd notice
a listener who somehow got through his call screener that sounded like
he's 17 or 18 or
even younger, and then he'd rudely tell the kid to call back in about
10 or 15 years.
Later I found out that WEEI's policy is apparently to not allow people
under a certain age on. Now, who's to say that some kid that age might
actually have something interesting to say, and might be a big sports
buff? Sure, WEEI has their policy, but Ted could have just said,
"Excuse me, but how old are you...16? We have a policy that you have
to be at least 20 to call. Sorry about that" Maybe Ted really said
something like that on occasion,
but during those times he cut off these callers he sounded like an old
sourpuss. Sure,
"them's the rules", but at least SAY so on the air, Ted...