BRW: Sarandis to leave WEEI

John J. Francini francini@mac.com
Sat Oct 1 21:54:52 EDT 2005

I was indeed endeavoring to be polite. I have absolutely nothing
against Ted, and I think the word fits him well. I actually remember
the evening he took calls all bloody night about his retractable roof
proposal for a new Fenway Park, after one rainstorm too many for his
liking in late April a few years ago.  He was earnest and passionate
about it being The Solution to the rain-out problem.

This was probably the beginning of the on-air joking and ribbing that
developed about him during the daytime shows.

Nevertheless, Dan's description does fit better for some of the
evenings I've listened to him.  When he got that way, a quote from
the play/movie 1776 is an apt description: "That man could depress an
hyena."

Ted did far better in the rain-delay Sox Talk format than in his own
show -- I guess because the callers tended to be more varied (as they
were from the entire Red Sox Radio Network listener base), and he
actually would let them talk and interact with them in an intelligent
way. One call that remains memorable to me was from a gent in Sydney,
Austrailia who listened to the games over the Internet.

As for the politics -- what is it about sports-radio types that tends
to lean to the right?  Especially with the ex-football jocks Fred
Smyerlas and Steve DiOssie that guest on the Big Show.  Of course,
Fred was recently revealed to be, shall we say, a bit disingenuous
when, after ranting about France this and France that in 2003, he
went off to -- where else -- France for a vacation?  And came back
with a completely different opinion about the place.

Generally, though, I tune into WEEI because it's live, local, funny,
and largely talks about SPORTS.  I love it when both D & C are on
vacation (or at least when Callahan is gone) -- because then the
morning show stays 'on point' and doesn't wander off into the
tiresome weeds of Boston or national politics.

John Francini

--
----
John Francini <mailto:francini@mac.com>