Music Industry Asking For Radio To Pay For Play

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Tue Nov 22 07:31:12 EST 2005

At 09:02 PM 11/21/2005, rogerkirk wrote:
>According to Billboard Monitor, the record inustry is asking for
>performance rights payments (to artists & labels) in addition to existing
>payments to Composers, Arragers & Publishers.  Alledgedly to defray the
>lost sales incurred when radio goes "HD" and consumers will be able to
>record music digitally from the radio with no loss of quality.  Of course,
>they are also asking these payments from non-digital stations, too.
>
>Could this be in retribution for being called on the carpet for alleged
>payola-like activities?

It never ceases to amaze me how the music industry keeps shooting itself in
the foot.  All it will take to kill this is for one of the large groups
(CC, Infinity) to refuse to go along.  I hope they do it.

On another related note, I read somewhere about Sony having put some sort
of hard to detect, harder to remove spyware into their CDs that will
automatically load if you try to play them in a PC.  Apparently it was an
attempt to make the music copy-proof.  I understand that several lawsuits
have been filed.