Christmas 103

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Nov 19 20:47:05 EST 2005

>I suspect that nationwide in the US, after
>Thanksgiving, when Christmas goes into full swing in this country, the
>number of stations running all-Christmas-music all-the-time (except for
>other kinds of programming, such as sporting events, which some stations are
>contractually obligated to carry) may well exceed 1000. That would amount to
>only a little more than 7% of all US radio stations!

Oh dear. Joe Gallant has apparently gotten a hold of Dan's e-mail account
and is posting from there :-)

The real number in the last few years has been closer to 300 than 1000, and
that's including stations that flip as late as 12/20 or so. (That's from
our tracking at 100000watts.com, which I have reason to believe is
extremely accurate.)

In general, we've found that the stations that go all-Christmas are
generally in large or medium markets, and it's rare to find more than one
in a market. Even assuming we miss a few (and no doubt we do), I'd still
doubt that the number is much above 400, and even that includes affiliates
of one or another of the satellite services that go all-Christmas for a
couple of weeks.

It's still very much a mixed bag - for every station that does extremely
well with it, there's another that finds that the listeners don't come
back, or that they've inadvertently created a temporary format hole for an
aggressive competitor to enter.