Christmas 103.3 on Friday

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Fri Nov 18 14:25:28 EST 2005

Bandwidth is still bandwidth but as you improve the algorithm for encoding
and tweak the bandwidth requirements for the subchannels, you have more
elbow room to work with.  For example, the news and talk channels use up
less bandwidth than the music channels since they are not full range.
Likewise, I'll bet that the 40's channel is similarly clipped.  About a year
after they started up, they tweaked the encoding on the news and talk
channels until they sounded like a bad pay phone.  After complaining they
cleaned up.  In the last year they've added a whole ton of "seasonal"
channels such as baseball, basketball, etc.

Keep in mind that their channel assignment is dynamic.  When they use the
Boston baseball channel, it gets bandwidth.  When its off season you get a
low bandwidth message saying that the game is not available.

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691