interference on 1030....and other things. ;-)

Shawn Mamros mamros@MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 9 10:05:59 EST 2005

>Well, the fact of the matter is, 105.7 is one of the major things that
> interferes with the WCRB
>signal in downtown Boston.

At first, I was thinking, "how could that be?"  But I think I figured
it out, and it's not strictly (or at least not solely) WROR's fault.

WBCN also transmits from the Pru.  105.7 minus 104.1 equals 1.6 MHz.
And, by sheer coincidence, 104.1 minus 102.5 also equals 1.6 MHz.
So intermod between WROR and WBCN could create a "beat" frequency
that causes a reflection of the higher frequency (WROR) to one that's
lower than the lower frequency (WBCN), and works out to be right on
top of WCRB.  (It would most likely work the other way around, too;
try listening to 107.3, and I wouldn't be surprised if you pick up
WBCN up there.)  With WCRB transmitting from out on 128, it makes
sense that the "beat" coming from the Pru could be stronger right
on Boston.

Not sure if there's much WROR or WBCN could do about it either,
unless one of them moves off the Pru, or WCRB moves in closer to
downtown.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu